India and I have been talking about collaborating for years now, and we finally did it! Scroll down for a brief comedic skit we did on getting the right Instagram shot (through the perspective of a friend vs. best friend). Y'ALL KNOW IT AIN'T NO ONE SHOT WONDER!
ANNNND OUR SKIT BELOW (Bloopers at the end):
I love visiting Montreal in the summer. The city is always jam-packed with things to do, you get a taste of Europe, and there's many cheap, good eats to choose from. Instead of telling you what TO do in the city, I'm going to tell you the top 5 things NOT to do:
- Do NOT go and try finding the Plateau Houses - I was expecting this, but wasn't able to find the exact location, and what I did manage to find was underwhelming.
- Do NOT visit Saint Joseph's Oratory in the afternoon - You will be bombarded with lots of people. Lots.
- Do NOT go to Fairmount Bagel if you want sandwiches - If you are craving their smoked salmon, cream cheese bagel, you're SOL. They unfortunately don't offer sandwiches anymore :(, but you can still purchase their bagels in bulk.
- Do NOT get Earl Grey sorbet at Kem CoBa - It does not taste anything close to Earl Grey. The blueberry/honey soft-serve was good, but not worth the long line-up.
- Do NOT leave the city without going to the following places:
You can still take advantage of the huge Nordstrom Warehouse Sale hosted by StyleDemocracy until April 17th at the International Centre (Hall 6) in Mississauga! Below are the hours:
Friday, April 14: 11am - 9pm
Saturday, April 15 - Sunday April 16: 10am - 6pm
Monday, April 17: 10am - 5pm
If you have the patience to look through racks and racks of clothing and are prepared for potentially long lines, then you'll probably walk out with 10 items for under $300. I was able to snag these Rebecca Minkoff mules and shirt for $70!
Alsoo, check out the spotlight StyleDemocracy did on yours truly: http://www.styledemocracy.com/style-spotlight-tina-dao/
This photo set was actually taken on 3 separate occasions, which is why you'll notice the varying lipstick shades and the different hairstyles.
- Day 1 Early Afternoon: Hair down, neutral lips - It was extremely cold and windy outside, so we decided to take pictures inside.
- Day 1 Evening: Hair up, neutral lips - To combat the wind, I opted for a ponytail instead and attempted some shots outside.
- Day 2: Hair up, dark lipstick - I then realized I wanted to pair the outfit with a dark lippie, so figured third time was the charm.
I picked my favorites from each set and the results are what you see below!
I don't know how it works and it does have a semi-uncomfortable burning sensation, but ChinUp Mask rid 2 cm off my double chin after using it for 30 minutes. I also have a very ticklish neck, so it was hard to keep a straight face with the mask on, but IT WORKS.
I'm proud to partner with Frank & Oak for their new permanent women’s collection, which is now officially available online and in store! C-c-check out my entire look and all the new styles here: www.frankandoak.com/invite/TinaDao
Also for anyone that's never tried Shin Black ramen, guaranteed you won't go back once you've had a taste.
I've been overplaying the La La Land soundtrack since I saw the movie a week ago, and I fall in love with it more each time. For those that haven't seen it, stop what you're doing and GO WATCH IT. It was so beautifully done - from the directing, the music and the costumes, to the actors and their chemistry on-screen. On an unrelated note, what I really love about Coach's new Dinky bag is the attached kisslock purse inside - perfect for all the red pocket money I'll be receiving this weekend for Lunar New Year!
Being a petite gal (5'2"), I often struggle with finding clothes (especially jackets) that fit me. It's why my wardrobe consists of only a few brands, because once I find something that works I stick with it. When I discovered Petite Studio, I fell in love with their entire line. The quality pieces are made for, of, and by petite women, so they know exactly what works and what doesn't!
I started blogging last September, so 2016 was a year of many firsts. I've met so many local creatives I now call my friends, have partnered with many of my favourite brands, and been invited to exclusive events I've only dreamt of attending. Even though there are moments I feel like quitting and question why I'm doing what I'm doing, I ultimately love it and am excited for what 2017 has in store. Keep reading below for 3 confessions behind my Instagram shots!
Now onto the confessions...
1. It's all about perspective - Left is what I posted on Instagram and to the right is what it took to get the shot. Also how many of y'all have painted just your thumb to take a photo...(guilty)
2. What 99% of my pictures actually look like - I shot with Chris yesterday and we ended up with 1100 photos, of which only 20 were decent.
Cheers to keeping it real in 2017!
American Eagle was actually the first brand to regram one of my outfits on Instagram when I was just starting out as a blogger. I couldn't contain my excitement and that was definitely one of the highlights of last year. My first job in high school also happened to be at American Eagle, so it's crazy how it's come full circle. You can view my feature on their blog here!
This post is sponsored by American Eagle Outfitters
It was really windy during this photoshoot, and I wasn't wearing any pants under this 'dress' (which is supposed to fit like a regular tunic on taller folks). Luckily, there weren't that many people around to witness the multiple Marilyn Monroe moments that occurred. I'm also currently in Barcelona and haven't slept since 8 am yesterday, so goodnight!
Hadn't eaten a hot dog in probably 5 years, until the day Kareema and I shot this look. Good was an understatement. I met Kareema while shopping at Aritzia a year ago, and I had just started my blog at the time. We had been planning this collaboration for a year now, and it finally happened! Follow this girl on Instagram and check out her amazing blog!
I always thought BTS stood for Back To School, but apparently Google thinks it's a Base Transceiver Station piece of equipment that facilitates wireless communication between user equipment and a network. It also stands for Behind The Scenes, Between The Sheets, Be There Soon, Break The Seal, Born Too Soon, Burn/Bun That Shit, Burning Tonkomong (Butthole) Sensation, and is also a South Korean pop band. #WhoKnew
Zara Suede Effect Jacket (Similar from Express in vest form!) // Zara Bucket Bag (Similar from Forever 21) // Aritzia Vintage Cutoff Short (Similar from Sincerely Jules) // Aritzia Skinny Belt (Similar from Forever 21 & $5) // Forever 21 Semi-Sheer Ribbed Knit Top (On sale for $5) // Adidas Stan Smith
Photo Credits: @Andrew So
Does anyone actually know the origin of the no-white-after-Labor Day rule? Do people actually abide by this rule? Apparently, since hot weather = wear white, once Labor Day became a federal holiday in 1894, society eventually adopted it as the natural endpoint for summer fashion, and hence you weren't allowed to wear white. Silly, if you ask me! #HistoryLessonsWithSimplyteee
Miss Pap Megan McKenna White Crochet Bell Sleeve Two Piece Set // Zara Leather Mules (Similar)
I've never owned a pair of Mavi jeans before, but I am pleasantly surprised by how comfortable they are! The fit is perfect, and even gives you a butt lift ;). I'm in the pool of asians with no bum, so that's a-okay in my books!
My friend Chua from Edmonton and his sister were in town again, and rightfully so we decided to collab once more - but this time it was with not one Chua, but two! I was definitely channeling Jackie from That '70s Show and this might be my favourite shoot yet. Now I'm hungry so enjoy!
Here are some bloopers turned GIFs for your entertainment and my demise:
There are times when we can't stop talking even though we actually don't have anything valid to talk about and as it turns out today is one of those days where I'm looking at these pictures and I have no idea what to say and I'm not one to describe what I'm wearing because 'a picture is worth 1000 words' so I'll just say that I only eat Hawaiian pizza and no matter how good a Pizza place is if they don't offer Hawaiian pizza it ain't my place.
Well, half decent. Since I was rocking 7 day old hair here, I'm going to share some tips on how I maintain it without actually washing it. Going to keep it short and sweet - just like me. Minus the sweet part.
1. Let's Get Dirrty - (As Aguilera would put it) No matter how oily or smelly your hair is, or how itchy your scalp gets, don't give in. You need to train your hair, especially if it's used to being washed everyday. 7 days may be excessive, but washing your hair at least every other day ensures your scalp is not overproducing oil to compensate for the dryness.
3. Let's Tango - With your comb, that is. Being an unnatural blonde, I usually wake up looking like a dragon lady with dreadlocks. After I comb out all the tangles, my hair is 10x more manageable and I can style accordingly.
4. Smooth Criminal - (had to reference MJ) For that finishing touch, to make it look like you just washed your hair and got a blowout, Bumble and bumble's Hairdresser's Invisible Oil is great for adding shine and taming flyaways (especially those stubborn baby hairs). I can't leave the house without it!
And that's how I get away with not washing my hair for 7 days. Would love to know the longest you've gone without washing yours!
Aritzia Talula Kent Blazer (Similar) // Zara Cropped Top (Similar and cuter) (This one's nice too) // American Eagle Shorts (Similar here and here) // Zara Lace Sandals (Similar - Love these ones) // No Weekends Luna Sunglasses (Blush)
SHOP THE POST