Do y'all ever have one of those days where you're moody af and want to kill errbody in the room so you start thinking of their death and all the various ways you could put them down and then start thinking about all the different ways you could die so it goes from ripping out their eyeballs from their sockets and blending it with their intestines only to feed it back to them, to having your fingernails ripped off slowly one by one while you're being burnt alive? Well, I had one of those days. OKAY BYE.
India and I have been talking about collaborating for years now, and we finally did it! Scroll down for a brief comedic skit we did on getting the right Instagram shot (through the perspective of a friend vs. best friend). Y'ALL KNOW IT AIN'T NO ONE SHOT WONDER!
ANNNND OUR SKIT BELOW (Bloopers at the end):
True story and captured on my Instagram stories: My CEO Sanjay (not just a random uncle) was complaining to 300 of our clients at our annual user group conference about how he has to pay for Converse and I get it for free (through partnerships with the brand). The PR rep for Converse saw on my IG stories and sent him a code so he could redeem his own pair. It seemed natural then to take a picture, so here we are. Sanjay was way too excited for this.
On me: Converse One Star Suede Low Top / On Sanjay: Converse Chuck Taylor All Star '70 Mono Leather High Top // Free People Sweater (Similar) // Free People Headband (Similar) // Topshop Moto Ripped Denim Mom Shorts
Alright I'm having major late '90s to early '00s flashbacks and so I thought I'd list out my top 10 favorite games to play as a child:
- Boom Boom Volleyball on miniclip.com - There's a level you can unlock so the women play topless :3 #WhatMoreCouldYouWant
- Tomb Raider II on Playstation 1 - Never knew wtf I was doing but the memories are real.
- Twisted Metal on Playstation 2 - HOW AWESOME WAS THIS GAME THOUGH!? I sucked at it (even as Sweet Tooth) but HOW AWESOME WAS IT!?
- Makeover game on barbie.com - A bit of a guilty pleasure, but I loved playing makeover or any of the fashion games on that website. I even had a PC version where I could design my barbies' clothes and then print them (but it never printed properly).
- Space Room game on postopia.com - I don't remember the name of this game, but you could design your own themed room (in space, a cowboy bar etc.).
- Neopets - I always went for Kacheek. And Kacheek would always die.
- Gunbound - What asian didn't play Gunbound or Maplestory, really?
- Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega - There's one part where Sonic would run underwater and that was always my favorite part.
- Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse on Sega - This game was lit af.
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater on Playstation 1 - If you never played this game, you don't know what you're missing out on.
My first day of Kindergarten I was paired up with a classmate named Lina to show me around. However, there was this one girl named Eliza (way prettier) I was eyeing to be my friend and I wanted her to be my buddy instead. When recess started, I ditched Lina and ran towards Eliza. We became friends and I was brought into her crew (the "popular" bunch). We would sing Spice Girls on top of a bench every recess and would play "The Damsel in Distress" in the playground as the boys would come rescue us (I know, talk about stereotypes). One day, my "friends" decided they didn't want to be my friend anymore. I started crying, they felt bad, and eventually we drifted and I found real friends.
Fast forward 21 years later, I'm still superficial af and bullying is still very much a real issue.
Hot Miami Styles Ribbed Turtleneck Bodysuit (Similar here) // Oak + Fort Jean G019 // H&M Leather Belt // F as in Frank Thrifted Sunglasses (Similar here and here) // Rebecca Minkoff Mules from Nordstrom Rack Sale (Similar here, here, here and here)
Photo Creds: Alistair D'Cruz & Karuna Israni (@whatweworeblog)
Can I date 2001 Justin Timberlake in this outfit though? Or better yet have a threesome with him and Brit? Can I be Ryan Gosling's costar in the sequel to Drive? Can I join the cast of That 70's Show? All questions that run through my mind when I'm repping the Canadian tux.
Frank And Oak recently launched their Style Plan - A monthly subscription providing personalized recommendations on their latest collections, ongoing discounts and free shipping. It's basically made for the lazy shopper (like me). Receive $30 off your first month by using this link: http://www.frankandoak.com/invite/simplyteee :)!
You can still take advantage of the huge Nordstrom Warehouse Sale hosted by StyleDemocracy until April 17th at the International Centre (Hall 6) in Mississauga! Below are the hours:
Friday, April 14: 11am - 9pm
Saturday, April 15 - Sunday April 16: 10am - 6pm
Monday, April 17: 10am - 5pm
If you have the patience to look through racks and racks of clothing and are prepared for potentially long lines, then you'll probably walk out with 10 items for under $300. I was able to snag these Rebecca Minkoff mules and shirt for $70!
Alsoo, check out the spotlight StyleDemocracy did on yours truly: http://www.styledemocracy.com/style-spotlight-tina-dao/
I decided to dedicate this blog post to some BTS gifs and how 99% of my shoots actually go. Scroll down for bloopers!
Mavi Juliette Skinny Cargo in Military Camouflage // Aritzia Babaton Avery Sweater (Old) // Cole Haan GrandPro Tennis Sneaker // Joe Fresh Beanie (Old) // ZeroUV Retro Full Metal Aviator Sunglasses With Clear Lenses Glasses 9591 - Gold Clear // Daniel Wellington Classic Black Sheffield 36mm
SOME GIF BLOOPERS
This photo set was actually taken on 3 separate occasions, which is why you'll notice the varying lipstick shades and the different hairstyles.
- Day 1 Early Afternoon: Hair down, neutral lips - It was extremely cold and windy outside, so we decided to take pictures inside.
- Day 1 Evening: Hair up, neutral lips - To combat the wind, I opted for a ponytail instead and attempted some shots outside.
- Day 2: Hair up, dark lipstick - I then realized I wanted to pair the outfit with a dark lippie, so figured third time was the charm.
I picked my favorites from each set and the results are what you see below!
I don't know how it works and it does have a semi-uncomfortable burning sensation, but ChinUp Mask rid 2 cm off my double chin after using it for 30 minutes. I also have a very ticklish neck, so it was hard to keep a straight face with the mask on, but IT WORKS.
Having not travelled to Europe before, I didn't know what to expect. I was excited to take in the architecture, history, culture and amazing food. On the other hand, I was prepared for the worst with many people telling me to take heed of pickpocketing and theft. Our itinerary included Barcelona, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Pompeii, Florence and Geneva. As my heart was left in Italy, below are my top 5 things to see and do in two of my favourite cities.
1. Explore the city - I walked over 20,000 steps daily exploring Florence and felt I still had so much more to see. It's so easy to get lost; every wall, alley and building starts looking like the next, but I feel like that's the best way to truly know a city.
2. Eat your heart out - I had the best meals of my life in this city. Every single pasta dish, pizza slice and scoop of gelato I had was made with the freshest of ingredients. I normally am not a fan of coffee, cheese or wine (I know), but was in love with all three here. Yelp and I were closer than ever on this trip, and she never once let me down.
3. Go to Piazzale Michelangelo - A panoramic view of Florence, live music and arguably the best spot in town to watch the sunset. It's best to come about an hour before the sun goes down if you want to grab an open area on the stairs to enjoy the view.
4. Visit The Mall - If you're looking for deals on designer goodies, this luxury outlet 45 minutes outside of Florence is the place to be. It's the most beautiful outlet I've been to, and you can shop over 30 different brands. There's also a Gucci Caffè restaurant on the top floor of the Gucci store with an outdoor terrace offering incredible views of Tuscany.
5. Climb the Duomo - I recommend buying the all-in-one ticket (15 euros), which gives you access to see all 5 monuments in Piazza Duomo: Cupola, Bell Tower, Baptistery, the Crypt below Cathedral and Opera del Duomo Museum. Climbing to the top of the Bell Tower and the Duomo is about 900 steps altogether and is no easy feat! Being a 400 lb 95-year-old on the inside, I almost didn't make it.
1. Go to Raki for gelato - This place was recommended by a colleague, and it was by far one of the best gelati I had in Italy. It had the perfect texture and richness, and there's not an overabundance of flavours to choose from that you're standing there for 30 minutes trying to decide.
2. Take a day trip to Positano and Amalfi - I'll let the views speak for itself. If you decide to take a bus from Sorrento, the thrilling trip is about 30 minutes to an hour, and offers the most breathtaking views of the coastline. Warning: side effects may include nausea, dizziness and headaches due to the extreme twists and curves in the road.
...and I ran into another Toronto blogger (@cynthyeah) there I had only stalked on Instagram, and never actually met until walking past her down the Amalfi coast:
3. Visit the shops and walk along the coastline - Sorrento is a very small coastal town that you can walk from one end to the other in a mere couple hours.
5. Take a day trip to Pompeii - I was so immersed in the history of this old Roman city and exploring the excavated ruins, that I didn't take a single photo of the vast archaeological site. To make it up, here are photos from Montserrat (an hour away from Barcelona):
That pretty much sums up my trip, give or take my phone being stolen in Barcelona, and me being appalled at two drinks at Starbucks costing $17 in Geneva. Would love to know what your favourite cities are in Europe!
It was really windy during this photoshoot, and I wasn't wearing any pants under this 'dress' (which is supposed to fit like a regular tunic on taller folks). Luckily, there weren't that many people around to witness the multiple Marilyn Monroe moments that occurred. I'm also currently in Barcelona and haven't slept since 8 am yesterday, so goodnight!
Figured it was appropriate to wear my first pair of over-the-knee suede boots when it was downright pouring out. (can you tell?)
Miss Pap Emily Grey Suede Over the Knee Boots // Topshop Dress shirt (Old) // Abercrombie Shorts (Old)
Hadn't eaten a hot dog in probably 5 years, until the day Kareema and I shot this look. Good was an understatement. I met Kareema while shopping at Aritzia a year ago, and I had just started my blog at the time. We had been planning this collaboration for a year now, and it finally happened! Follow this girl on Instagram and check out her amazing blog!
I always thought BTS stood for Back To School, but apparently Google thinks it's a Base Transceiver Station piece of equipment that facilitates wireless communication between user equipment and a network. It also stands for Behind The Scenes, Between The Sheets, Be There Soon, Break The Seal, Born Too Soon, Burn/Bun That Shit, Burning Tonkomong (Butthole) Sensation, and is also a South Korean pop band. #WhoKnew
Zara Suede Effect Jacket (Similar from Express in vest form!) // Zara Bucket Bag (Similar from Forever 21) // Aritzia Vintage Cutoff Short (Similar from Sincerely Jules) // Aritzia Skinny Belt (Similar from Forever 21 & $5) // Forever 21 Semi-Sheer Ribbed Knit Top (On sale for $5) // Adidas Stan Smith
Photo Credits: @Andrew So
I've never owned a pair of Mavi jeans before, but I am pleasantly surprised by how comfortable they are! The fit is perfect, and even gives you a butt lift ;). I'm in the pool of asians with no bum, so that's a-okay in my books!
Cat videos and chill/churros/cheese/cheerios/chicken -- that's my ideal Friday night. Now try saying THAT ten times over.
Jokes aside, I've collaborated with Arm the Animals, who aims to support small, struggling animal welfare organizations that help rescues. A portion of the proceeds towards their apparel goes to helping with shelter, food, vet bills and other basics all rescues need. Feel free to check out some of their other clever designs on their website or Instagram!
HAHA misleading title, but with 2-ish weeks away until the Game of Thrones season 6 premiere, I thought it was fitting. That's all.
A #tbt from two weeks ago! Just came back from a mini work trip to New Jersey and Pennsylvania, and I already miss it. Downtown Philly has absolutely amazing food, people, architecture, and such a pleasant vibe -- enough to make me want to move down there! We stayed in Manhattan for a night, so got a glimpse of classic Times Square before heading back to Jersey. Not sure yet if I'll be doing a full blog post about my time there, but stay tuned for more details in my next post regardless! :)